Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Kyst - Cotton Touch

Ever since I stumbled upon the gem that is Indigo Tree, I decided to dive head first into the Polish folk/freak-folk scene. I must say that I'm impressed with the quality of a lot of these artists and it baffles me how some of them aren't household names in the States yet. One such band is the Norwegian/Polish band Kyst. Consisting of Tobiasz BiliƄski and Adam Byczkowski, they've released an ep, album and run their own record label all while being under the age of 20. If that doesn't make the average person feel lazy and unambitious I don't know what will.

Cotton Touch starts off with the amply titled "Climb Over", a slow build up of a guitar, drums and eventual violin that crescendos at the perfect time. It's a fantastic opener, nothing too long or pretentious, yet a wonderful nod to classic post-rock artists. "Complain/Cheer" has an almost live feel to it, very reminiscent of some of the quieter Akron/Family songs as it perfectly mixes the erratic with the subdued. This wonderful mixture continues for the remainder of the album as it's textured with bits of the Microphones and Grizzly Bear(I'm talking Horn of Plenty, not that Yellow House or Veckatimest bullshit) showing through every so often. The album finishes with the fantastic instrumental outro "Summer Love" that will leave you with your eyes closed, head bopping and a smile on your face.

I have fallen in love with this record and I can't wait to see what they will come up with next. If you enjoy meticulously crafted songs full of texture and warmth, you are going to adore this record.


1 comment: