Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Old Canes - Early Morning Hymns

One thing that has always fascinated me about musical taste is how quickly and drastically it can change over just a few short years. Back in 2004 when this album was released I remember enjoying a few songs from it, but for some reason I just completely shoved it aside and forgot about it. Luckily a few weeks ago as I was wading through my albums I decided to play Early Morning Hymns for the first time in years. Just expecting a decent album, I was shocked at how much I ended up enjoying it. Fast forward a week, a couple dozen spins and this album is quickly becoming a personal favourite.

Early Morning Hymns is the perfect mix of frantic acoustic guitars, horns, banjos and even the occasional harmonica. The result is a sound that drunkenly walks the border between the chaotic nature of Neutral Milk Hotel and the calmness of an Owen record.

From this overlooked gem to his criminally underrated band Appleseed Cast, Christopher Crisci just can't seem to catch a break. We can only hope that in the near future he will finally get the recognition he sorely deserves.


Early Morning Hymns

Try
Buy
Last.fm
Myspace

No comments:

Post a Comment