Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Indigo Tree - Lullabies of Love and Death


One thing I hate about making year end lists is the fact that you will always stumble upon an incredible album much too late. Lullabies of Love and Death is another fine example of that fact, another album I randomly downloaded from sordomusic that turned out to be something really special. I am kicking myself for not discovering it sooner because I am fairly certain it would have ranked pretty high in my year end list.

From first listen I knew there was something different about this band. The music itself is very laid back avant-pop that is comparable to a tamer Panda Bear. With simple guitar chords driving the songs, they also mix in trumpets, hand claps and occasional drums in such a way that it sounds almost dreamlike. To be honest, this record is a dream in album form. One of those perfect dreams that you really don't wish to awaken from.

After listened to it at least a half a dozen times, I started doing some research on the band itself. What I found was very surprising. Even though their lyrics are in english and they sing it very well, the band is from Poland. I guess it can be blamed on lack of trying, but I've never listened to a band from Poland before. If asked a few weeks ago what modern Polish music would sound like, I would use adjectives such as dark, brooding and creepy. I now realize how ignorant such a thought is, but I guess I'd rather be ignorant than stupid.

Listen to this album and let it destroy the little box that you've already placed 2009 in.

Indigo Tree - Lullabies of Love and Death

Try
Buy
Website
Last.fm
Myspace

No comments:

Post a Comment